Traditional Merit Badge Program
Camp Emerald Bay currently serves over 4500 Scout Campers per summer. With such a large property and many exploration sites on Catalina’s West End, the possibilities for activity and growth are limitless. Your week-long stay will be broken into five periods each day, during which you may take part in several merit badges and rank advancement opportunities.
Emerald Bay also offers a wide variety of Troop bonding activities such as kayaking, mountain biking, and snorkeling. You will also take part in the traditional Emerald Bay War Canoe, where you will join your troop for an incredible team building overnight experience on secluded Parson’s Beach, just an hour’s canoe ride away.
In addition to the many merit badge programs detailed in the 2020 merit badge packet (available in the Spring) and numerous troop activities, Camp Emerald Bay has several programs to offer you during your free time during the rest of the day. Be prepared: One thing you can truly count on is keeping very busy during your weeklong stay here. The following is a list of our various program areas, as well as a few additional programs you can sign up for while at camp.
- Waterfront: Come down to Doctor’s Cove to snorkel with a buddy and you might spot a Giant Black Sea Bass or Bat Ray!
- Handicraft:: Join our creative Handicraft staff during an open session and sculpt a masterpiece, stamp a leather belt, or carve an original neckerchief slide. Purchase your item at the Ship’s Store across the way and we’ll show you how to make it your own.
- Nature:: Meet with our Nature Staff on the Dining Hall Porch after dark and learn about the stars like you never could in a planetarium. The plethora of shining stars in our sky isn’t veiled by city light or air pollution. Who knows? You may just catch a meteor shower while you’re gazing.
- Marine Center::Explore the aquarium. See and touch a live Leopard Shark!
- Field Sports: Looking to improve your skills as a marksman? Come on over to our state-of-the-art Archery, Rifle, and Shotgun ranges for some free-shooting time.
- Scoutcraft:: When you come up to our Scoutcraft pirate ship during your free time, let loose and play some volleyball on a net that you wove together, or contribute your own structural masterpiece to the area for future Scouts to enjoy!
- Aquacade: Try Aqua-madness! Head to the waterfront for fun with your troop and compete in our camp-wide games. Help your troop win the coveted Aquacade trophy!
- Silver Peak: Sunrise Hike: See the sunrise like you never will again. The West End of Catalina is home to the third largest peak on the Island. This four-hour round-trip hike is not for the faint of heart, but your toils will be rewarded with a stunning 360-degree sunrise panorama.
- Pirate Award Program: Have you been to Emerald Bay before? Are you coming back this summer? If so, download this form to check out the requirements of our exclusive Pirate Award Program. Complete the requirements during your free time and earn a cool patch to put on your uniform!
- War Canoe Overnight Program: Every Scout signed up for the Traditional Program will be sent on our overnight program to Parsons Beach in an 8-person canoe. Participants will have to cook their own lunch and dinner and then sleep out under the stars at night.